New World for Straight Teeth
- Posted on: Dec 15 2018
Everyone wants to have straight teeth. After all, we live in Massachusetts, where we long ago jumped on the Mayflower and left the bad teeth of England behind. But, while a straight, beautiful smile is the end goal, not many people (especially teenagers) are keen on the route that is usually taken to get there: metal bands, wires, elastics…ugh, braces.
But at Cosmetic Dentistry Center, we prefer to straighten your teeth with Invisalign®. Invisalign® uses clear plastic “aligner” trays instead of the usual metal and rubber bands, effectively moving your teeth without the metal mouth.
Where did Invisalign come from?
Invisalign® has been around 20 years. That seems hard to believe, as most people have heard about it only in the last decade. But Align Technology, the creators of Invisalign®, was founded in 1997 by Zia Chishti and Kelsey Wirth. Chishti came up with the idea after struggling with a retainer at the end of his traditional orthodontic treatment while a grad student at Stanford. They teamed with three computer experts, who did intensive research into CAD modeling and capturing geometry and developed the necessary computer systems to create the “incremental retainers” that make up Invisalign®. Initially, it took time for dentists and orthodontists to believe in Invisalign®, but today Invisalign® is recognized as a viable alternative to metal braces for patients who need mild to moderate tooth movement.
Why should I opt for Invisalign?
Invisalign® accomplishes the necessary movement and straightening of your teeth without all the hassle. No wires are poking your cheeks and tongue. No bands are rubbing on your lips. No monthly “tightening” sessions, followed by two or three days of ibuprofen to relieve the pain. No floss threaders and food stuck in the bands.
- Virtually invisible — Invisalign® aligners are almost impossible to detect, even when you’re talking with a person at close range.
- Comfortable — The aligner trays are so comfortable; you’ll forget you’re wearing them!
- Eat what you like — No avoiding sticky, chewy foods, or having to cut your corn off the cob. Take the aligners out and eat what you want.
- Easy cleaning — Brushing and flossing are a breeze. Just take out the aligners and perform your regular hygiene.
- Flexibility — Play a brass instrument in the band? Forget about wax over your bands; merely remove your aligners during practice.
- Normal life — Unlike braces, Invisalign® doesn’t impact your life. Plus, you won’t need to avoid smiling in photos for two years!
Interested in straightening your smile without all the metal? Contact us at Cosmetic Dentistry Center, (617) 965-7673, and set up a consultation to see if Invisalign® will work for you or your teenager.
Posted in: Cosmetic Dentistry News